- Parks and Gardens
Located next to the Holy Trinity Cathedral are Wangaratta’s Memorial Gardens which contain two war memorials. Both are basalt memorials.
The first commemorating the four local soldiers killed in the Boer War and a declaration of peace at Pretoria. It was unveiled in 1903 by Colonel John Hoad. (Later Sir John Hoad) a one time Wangaratta resident who became chief of the Australian General Staff.
The second memorial bears the names of residents who were killed in the two World Wars as well as the Vietnam War. It was unveiled in 1923 by Colonel Scott, a former borough engineer. Each year an ANZAC service is held in the gardens to remember those that served our country during times of war.